Sunday, June 29, 2008

Creatures of the Ocean

06.21.2008

On Saturday, my uncle (Er Yi Zhang) and aunt (Er Yi) drove Celestine, Grace, and me to the beach, about one hour away from Taipei's city centre. On the way, we passed by a small town where I posed with these all these tiny dried fish.


A wandering butterfly found its way to my belt buckle, and decided to linger for a good five minutes. I felt honored to be able to provide a resting place for him.


In Taiwan, the sun is so blazing and brutal that many people carry umbrellas. I finally got into the habit of toting my 100 NT aqua cheapo umbrella in my purse everywhere I go, even though I feel quite fobby.

I found the image of this old man in the small town particularly endearing.

While my aunt and uncle were perusing the small fish, Celestine, Grace and I gravitated towards a woman making an intriguing sweet treat.

First, she moved a piece of wood back and forth across this large block of sweetened peanuts (sort of carmelized together?) until a sizable amount of peanut shavings fell off:

These shavings were collected and placed in the center of a paper thin, translucent pancake.


However many scoops of ice cream one desired were next added. Three is probably the maximum one poor pancake can hold, anyways.

The last step is to wrap the mixture up, and eat like a burrito! So delicious and refreshing. I think this is a dessert that Stephanie (my peanut loving roommate) would love, especially at under a dollar each :D

At last, we made it to the ocean.

I am going to do this one day.

Er Yi Zhang and Er Yi.

Picturesque mountains

Grace, Celestine, Me.

We had to go back early because Celestine (a rising senior at National Taiwan University) had to meet up with some classmates for a project. Next time I can't wait to actually go swimming.

No comments: