Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Revelations

06.19.08

I attended Bible study with Da Yi this morning. I am not Christian but my aunts and mom are and insist on me taking advantage of any opportunity in which I will be immersed in Chinese. Following along in the English version of the Bible does not really help but at least I will have a proper collection of Christian hymns (in Chinese!) by the end of the summer.

The night before, I went to a nightmarket where all kinds of food and tchotchkies are sold. Stephanie would not approve. I've discovered that sea creatures acquire an eerie beauty upon being arranged on an icy display table.






























I was shocked by this mess of octopus limbs at one stand.

I asked the vendor if I could take a picture. Yes, he gruffly waved with a "go ahead" motion. I looked around, then inquired where the body was. In a voice that is 90% matter -of-fact, 10% pure pride, the man exclaimed, "In the sea!" The poor octopus (is there truly no plural form?) get their tentacled legs chopped off by fisherman in passing. As I gruesomely imagined a big round head bobbing like an apple in the ocean, my enthusiastic vendor informed me that in fact the remains are soon after gobbled up by the sharks.

Later that same night, Da Yi and I go for sushi. It's still delicious.




No comments: